PRACTICE SERCURE EMAIL ADDRESS please email the practice if you need to do so

NHS constitution

Practice charges for Letters etc

Travellers to UK

Travellers to the UK

When you visit England, you'll normally have to pay for NHS treatment unless you're exempt from charges.

Different rules apply if you're moving to England permanently or returning to live in England permanently. For more information, see Am I entitled to NHS treatment when I move to England?

What does exempt from charges mean?

This means that someone who is an overseas visitor to the UK is entitled to full NHS hospital treatment free of charge under certain regulations.

Who is exempt from charges?

Some visitors to the UK are entitled to at least some NHS hospital treatment free of charge. These include people working for UK-based employers and students on courses of at least six months' duration.

UK state pensioners living outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and those visiting from countries that have a healthcare agreement with the UK are also entitled to free hospital treatment, but not pre-planned treatment or treatment that can await their return home.

 If you don't normally live in the UK and you're not exempt from charges, you will have to pay for NHS hospital treatment that you need during your stay unless the treatment falls into one of the categories where NHS treatment is free for everyone.

 See information for visitors to England for lists of who is exempt from some or all NHS hospital charges.

 Proving your entitlement

Hospitals are responsible for checking who should pay for NHS hospital treatment.

 The hospital will ask you for evidence to confirm whether you should pay. You may be asked to provide proof that you're on a short-term visit using your passport, identity card or travel documents.

What services and treatments are free for everyone?

There are some situations where initial treatment is available free on the NHS to all overseas visitors. These include:

•emergency treatment – this may be in an accident and emergency (A&E) department, a walk-in centre or a GP surgery

•treatment of certain infectious diseases, including sexually transmitted infections (STIs)

•compulsory psychiatric treatment

•treatment imposed by a court order

•family planning services – this does not include maternity treatment or terminations of pregnancies

However, unless you're exempt from charges, you'll have to pay NHS charges if you're admitted to hospital (this includes high dependency units and other emergency treatment, such as operations) or referred to an outpatient clinic.

Private health insurance

If you think you'll have to pay for treatment, you're strongly advised to take out health insurance before you travel. Your insurance should cover the length of time you'll be in the UK. You cannot buy this insurance from the NHS.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website